Registration and Open House
For the 2018-2019 year Esther Starkman will have all grades, from Kindergarten to 9. For information on pre-enrolment please follow this link: http://www.epsb.ca/schools/register/ For Spring 2018 , registration will begin on Feburary 1 for new students. The following process will guide pre-enrolment at Esther Starkman School:
New Students living in Terwillegar Towne:
• Terwillegar Towne is the primary attendance area for Esther Starkman school.
• All students who live within the primary attendance area will be accepted regardless of the grade they are entering if they can provide proof of residency. Examples of proof of residency are: Bill of sale for your house, utility bill with name and address, rental agreement with name and address.
• New kindergarten registrations will be accepted at Esther Starkman beginning on February 1, 2018. To apply you will need to bring proof of residence and proof of age. Please come to the school to fill in the application.
New Students living in Terwillegar South West and Elsewhere:
• Esther Starkman School has an optimal enrolment limit of 950 students.
• All enrolment decisions regarding students from outside of our primary attendance area will be made with this number in mind.
• Space availability will be determined on a grade by grade basis. For example, space may be available in kindergarten but not in grade 5.
• South Terwillegar West will be the secondary attendance area for Esther Starkman School. Students living in this attendance area will be accepted as space permits.
• Parents of kindergarten students living in South Terwillegar West can come to Esther Starkman and fill out an application form from February 1st until April 16th, 2018.
• Available space will be determined on April 16th after accommodating all kindergarten students from our primary attendance area (Terwillegar Towne). Students living in Terwillegar Southwest will then be given priority. If there are still available spots, then we will be accepting students from outside of our primary and secondary attendance boundaries.
• If more applications from outside our primary attendance area are received than we have space to accommodate, all secondary applications will be sent downtown and a random selection draw will be conducted by the district on April 25th.
• Random selection draws will be conducted on a grade by grade basis to fill available space.
• Students who are successful in the random selection draw will be enrolled at Esther Starkman. Students who are unsuccessful will have their applications forwarded to Lansdowne School.
• Once a student is accepted into Esther Starkman they will be able to attend through Grade 9 without having to go through random selection again.Please see under the Attendance Area section below the new maps outlining the Esther Starkman attendance area which now includes South Terwillegar West as our secondary area. Would you like to learn more about our school?We'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have. Give us a call.
Esther Starkman School is a Kindergarten to Grade 9 school. We will accept registrations from the Primary Attendance Area of Terwillegar Towne and if space is available from the Secondary Attendance area of Terwillegar South West. Please view the attendance maps under the Parents / Registration tab to ensure you live within our area if you are planning on registering.
It is the mission of Esther Starkman School to “ensure high levels of learning for ALL of our students.” We want our students to think, problem solve and apply the knowledge they learn so that they are exceptionally well prepared to succeed in our ever changing world. To that end, our staff works as a professional learning community engaging in job embedded professional development on a weekly basis. Our teachers are learners themselves, constantly improving their instructional practices and collaborating to create a diverse and rewarding classroom experience.
Esther Starkman is a community school that places great value on creating positive relationships with our parent community. We believe education is a partnership between parents and the school, we therefore strive to provide parents with up to date and relevant information regarding their child’s learning. Daily, through SchoolZone, our parents will receive all the information they require to participate in their child’s school experience.
On behalf of the staff, I welcome you to Esther Starkman School. We hope that your experience at Esther Starkman is rewarding and will cause you to believe as we do, that this truly is a school of “Excellence!”
"Ensuring High levels of learning for all students"
The 3 Big Ideas:
Focus on Learning
Focus on Collaboration
Focus on Results
4 Key Questions: